Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: :louie: :paw: :louie: :paw: :louie: :paw: :louie:

Author Topic: Does your family know?  (Read 749 times)

Sombrero

• View Profile
Does your family know?
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:58 pm »
Something I'm curious about - you openly write in the about section that you're an author of adult furry works. Since some of your family members also have occassional guest appearences on the stream, does that mean they know about that part of you? What do they think?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:17:24 pm by Draco »

Draco

• Administrator
  • I WRITE THE JOKES
    • View Profile
    • Gatorbox
Re: Does your family know?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:17:11 pm »
Unfortunately yes, haha. I got "doxed" a long time ago after a bad falling out with someone I was dating at the time and they decided to dump my full name, address (at the time), and other info to the usual suspects. This ended up being how my family found out the full extent of my involvement in the fandom. They were always aware in a casual sense though because I've always been a fan of dinosaurs and dragons and the like. (A year or so after this happened I was invited to speak at Further Confusion about writing, so they were bound to find out eventually.)

As you might imagine my parents were mostly confused by the nature of the work I do, but since at the time I was pretty popular they just saw it as me capitalizing on the skills I had to make some extra money. They don't really speak the language of liberalism, but they are all for "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" and that kind of stuff so they were supportive in that regard. These days we just don't really talk about it, not like it's a bad thing or something but just because it's a non issue.

I was lucky.  :success:

Sombrero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:37:36 pm »
Wow, huge props to your parents for being cool about it even after you were doxed. Guess that didn't go as the doxer wanted to  :yoshicry:

Draco

• Administrator
  • I WRITE THE JOKES
    • View Profile
    • Gatorbox
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:34:35 pm »
Wow, huge props to your parents for being cool about it even after you were doxed. Guess that didn't go as the doxer wanted to  :yoshicry:
Guess not haha. What's crazy about the situation is that it wasn't some rando online who became irrationally angry with me, but someone I knew IRL. I've always been really careful with the information I put out online and it never crossed my mind that I could be "betrayed" by someone I knew offline.

For the first few years I was back in the fandom I didn't reveal my name, but since my info was forcefully put out there I just decided to own it and use "Dracokon" and my real name interchangeably.