Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: yo mang check out my mixtape :rocky:

Author Topic: FAQ's about the stream and me.  (Read 869 times)

Draco

• Administrator
  • I WRITE THE JOKES
    • View Profile
    • Gatorbox
FAQ's about the stream and me.
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:51:35 pm »
I've been streaming since 2012 and in that time I've been asked a lot of questions, sometimes more than once by different people. *gasp!* Hopefully I can preempt a lot of needless new threads/posts by addressing some of the most common questions I get in this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

Q) What is your streaming setup?
With the exception of HDMI consoles, since we predominately stream older stuff here, everything is plugged into a 16-way composite A/V switchbox. This box's output is then fed into an EliteVideo SD-11 distribution amplifier, which upscales the input to 720p and splits the output simultaneously into the stream's television as well as a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 capture device. At one point, the SD-11 also split audio-only output to surround sound speakers placed behind the cast, however these are currently no longer in use. For commentary, everything is picked up using a Blue Yeti snowglobe microphone.

Q) What's the story behind the name "Gatorbox"?
From 2012 - early 2013 this channel was operated by a parent media company under a different "Gator" name. They shelved the stream in 2013 due to financial problems, however myself and a couple of the other cast members wanted to keep going so we had to come up with a similar sounding name as to not lose what little audience we had at the time. I already owned the domain gator.co, so we settled on "Gatorbox" which is intended to translate to "alligator television".

Q) What's the story behind "COLA"?
In late 2014 I found a completely brandless "COLA" drink at Walmart. A couple weeks into 2015 I had the bright idea to quietly replace everything we drank on stream with COLA without drawing any attention to it until someone finally noticed. We've just ran with it ever since. There was actually a period of time where Walmart stopped carrying it so to keep the meme alive we all just drank water out of COLA cans that we had saved.

Q) What's the story behind "Pooptown"?
Many years before Gatorbox was a thing, FPS Reflex and I used to dick around on Roblox and mess with people. Back then, Roblox was pretty much untamed and you could create/remix items and spawn them on other people's maps. We created a griefing item called "POOPTOWN" that was literally just a column of invisible sound effect triggers with a teleporter at the bottom that put you at the top of the stack so you'd fall through the triggers until your computer slowed down and froze. The name itself came from the map we used to test it with which had nothing in it except for the item and a sign out in the distance that said "POOPTOWN" in giant lettering. (It used to say "BIG TIME DOO DOO LAND" but the sign was unreadable due to having to use smaller letters.) Today, we just throw the term around whenever games ask for player or save file names.

Q) What's "SHUSH OR HUSH"?
It's directly referenced from this image. I got bored one day and started chopping up the movie poster to Rush Hour, and "Shush or Hush" was about the best thing I could spell using the movie title's letters. It first became an in-joke where I used to work, which prompted me to tweet it and start making more of them. Now, "SHUSH OR HUSH" pretty much means anything that's been doctored like the original poster, even if it doesn't actually say "shush or hush" anywhere on the image.

Q) Are you a furry?
bruh :wtf:

Q) Did you really have the world record time in Super Off Road?
Yes, I was the de facto holder of the record from 2013 through October 2015 when my time was beaten by the speedrunner d0re. My personal best is just under 20 minutes now, however the current WR time has managed to get down to the 15 minute mark. Chances are I probably won't get the record back, and really don't have the time to devote to getting it in the first place.

Q) What's the stream's connection to Bad Dragon?
In short, there isn't one. Varka (the owner of Bad Dragon) is a personal friend of mine and he has helped me out with some of my endeavors, however his company is not a direct/official sponsor or supporter of the show. The cast and I frequently make references and allusions to Bad Dragon mostly to pander to our furry viewers, that's about it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:13:33 pm by Draco »